Rules and Policies

For Academic Policies and Procedures, please refer to the University Catalog and the University Policy and Procedure Statements Webpage.

Student Complaints and Grievances

Students who have a complaint or grievance should submit the complaint or grievance in writing to the appropriate individual or office. If the complaint is academically related, students are encouraged to address the complaint directly with the instructor or they could address the matter with the department chair/school director where the class/instructor resides (see the Council of Chairs Roster). The Student Ombudsperson in the Dean of Students Office can assist with non-academic complaints and grievances as well as help students address university issues or concerns.